3D Print Project28th November, 2010
Over the last few months I’ve been working on a design for a 3D print. I’ve been mulling over this idea for a while. It involves creating a specific kind of illusion which will be visible only from certain angles. After failing to get the precision I needed with cardboard, I decided 3D printing was the way to go.
I taught myself Google Sketchup along the way. After redesigning a few times I managed to get a version that was suitable for printing at Shapeways. The pricing is by volume of material, so that shaped the design. The first blocky version I uploaded was going to cost $5000, so I started again and came up with something much lighter that cost $50. My object arrived in the post a few days after I ordered it. It’s the future! It didn’t quite work as I’d hoped, but I know what I need to do for the next version. Here’s some of the progression.